Submitting Your Programs to MiND
MiND TV is a community media outlet where everyone can share their stories and be part of a changing media landscape. MiND is TV by the People and for the People – and that means MiND is YOUR channel. MiND TV is a non-profit, public TV station airing member-submitted, 5-minute programs so that we all may inspire each other, have fun, and strive for positive social change in our community.
Interested in making your own show, short documentary, or perhaps a non-profit profile video? Learn how at our workshops, and submit your videos to MiND TV! You’ll be broadcast on TV to 2.9 million homes in the Greater Philadelphia region!
Become a Member | Submission Guidelines | Technical Requirements
Check Out Sample Submissions | myMiND Sign In | Contact
Guidelines for Submitting Video to MiND
MiND is all about learning, community, and social awareness. As a non-profit, public television station, we are licensed to air educational and cultural programming that enriches our community. To submit video, please Become a Member and learn about our guidelines. All member-submitted content must adhere to these guidelines to be accepted to air on MiND.
The Basics: Submission Guidelines
All MiND Programs must:
- Be Exactly 5-Minutes Long
- Be non-commercial and non-promotional in nature (remember we are non-profit, public TV!)
- Provide a learning experience
- Contain a complete story that can stand on its own (not part of a sequential series), for 2 years
- Be submitted by a current MiND Member
- Be in adherence to our technical requirements (see below)
- Not contain a program bug/logo
- Not contain websites and e-mail addresses in the body of the program. (One website is permitted in the credits. Preferred wording: “For more information: www…..”)
Download the Submission Checklist
The Nitty Gritty: Technical Requirements
MiND only accepts DVDs (not CD-ROMs and not file transfers). To prepare a DVD for MiND, please either export as an MPEG2 file and then save the resulting file as a DVD; or save directly to DVD.
If your software provides you with optional settings, please use these settings:
- Format: MPEG2 or DV NTSC, Standard Definition (SD) only
- Size: 720x480 (3/4) in a 4:3 aspect ratio (MiND does not accept 16:9 (Anamorphic) aspect ratios)
- Frame Rate: 29.97 frames per second
- Audio Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz (or as set for project’s recording)
- Video Levels: 7.5 IRE to 100 IRE
- Video Bit Rate: 6000 kbps (constant)
- Audio: MPEG Layer II, stereo
- Audio Bit Rate: 256 kbps
- Audio Levels: All levels need to be in the -6 to -12 db (decibel) range
ATTENTION! Editing Service Now Available for Small, Technical Fixes
Due to the high number of submissions with small, technical errors, MiND is now offering an in-house editing service to fix these errors for a fee of $50. Once fixed, your programs will be approved. You will still have the option to make these fixes yourself. If your submitted program is eligible for this service, a representative from MiND will contact you via e-mail.
*This service is only available for nearly perfect submissions. MiND only accepts completed 5 minute programs and does not edit together raw footage.
When can I submit? All year long! (as long as you are a member)
How long before my program goes on air? Once approved, 3 to 4 weeks (thereabouts). Get approved fast – follow the guidelines! If your programs are frequently sent back to you with small technical fixes, you can now get your program fast tracked to approval by using our editing service! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Can I submit to MiND themed months – AND other programs? Yes, of course! MiND accepts submissions all year long on almost any topic you can dream of (as long as it is “learning” oriented and non-commercial, remember!). And, on top of that, we curate special months of themed programming that our community cares about. Each month has its own topical focus and deadlines. Check out our submissions page, or contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Read more of our FAQ here.
So, after all that: What types of programs can I submit?
Submit to Themed Months on MiND TV